Sunday, February 19, 2006

DM3 file format brings in new problems

I just implemented the first part of the snapshot parsing (general data and player data), which was fairly easy. I looked then at the entity data. These are encoded in the end just like the player data with a clever field re-ordering and delta-encoding (only changed data appear in the demo file). But the fact, which entity appears in a given snapshot is not encoded completely in the snapshot itself but it possibly needs an internal state just like the game itself. This would mean I have to re-create a complete state machine with many former frames and all the entities in there.
Just read the function CL_ParsePacketEntities() in the file cl_parse.c to understand what I mean. It is not really clear, which entities should be read with CL_DeltaEntity() just by looking at the input file. I need a bit more time to think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home